Complaints About Nuisance
First find out who is causing the disturbance. You need to be sure in which apartment the tenant causing trouble lives. TOAS is not able react to anonymous complaints.
Contact the persons causing the nuisance and tell them that they have caused you disturbance. Remember to be polite as anonymous letters or aggressive behavior rarely lead to any good results.
It may be that people in question are not aware that they are causing a disturbance by their actions.
It is not allowed to cause any disturbance at any areas of the property, whether indoors or outdoors. If the situation appears threatening or may end up serious you must contact the police by calling 112.
If the disturbance continues and your discussion with the tenant does not help, you may write a formal complaint and send it via email to omatoas(at)toas.fi. In the complaint you must specify the apartment or the tenant causing disturbance, what has happened and when. You may also ask your neighbors to sign the complaint.
Note that TOAS can only act on the basis of a written complaint.
TOAS will contact the tenant who is the cause of the alleged disturbance. However, information on who made the complaint will not be given. The complaint will be handled confidentially.
In cases of serious disturbance, TOAS can give the tenant a warning of rescission of the lease agreement or use the lessor’s right to rescind the lease agreement (based on Act on Residential Leases).
Normal sounds of living
According to the Finnish Real Estate Federation (FREF), normal sounds related to living include for example showering, babies crying, children playing, occasional bumps, cleaning and the sound of washing machines.
- Following these rules and regulations will make everybody’s life in TOAS apartments a lot more comfortable, save the tenant extra costs and ensure that TOAS can keep its rents at a reasonable level.
- Every tenant must make sure that the common areas, rooms and all furniture remain clean and undamaged. Cost incurred due to damage caused by tenants will be appointed to the person(s) responsible.
- Silence from 10 pm to 7 am must be respected.
- Smoking is strictly forbidden at all TOAS locations inside the flats as well in the balconies, French balconies and shared balconies and in all the common areas (staircases, lifts, basements, common rooms, saunas and laundry rooms). Since 1.1.2021 smoking is forbidden at balconies in every TOAS location.
- It is forbidden to use the flats’ private balconies for drying, shaking or beating carpets or other textiles.
- It is forbidden to build a fire or a barbeque on the balconies. However, electric barbeques are allowed (except in Espantorni). It is forbidden to throw rubbish or any other items off the balcony.
- Pets are not allowed in shared apartments. Pet owners must also note that pets are not allowed on the children’s playgrounds. Pets must be kept on a leash and faeces must be removed from the yard area. Pets owners must take care that pets do not dirty the yard areas, walls of the buildings or parked vehicles. It is forbidden to feed wild animals.
- Outside the apartment pets must be on a leash and they should not disturb other tenants.
- Painting or renovation (such as structural changes) are not allowed in the apartments.
- Tenants are not allowed to drill holes in the walls.
- Tenants are not allowed to duplicate keys or change the locks to the apartment.
- Bicycles, babies’ prams, sports gear and other articles are not to be stored or kept in the lobby, staircases or other common areas; these articles have their own designated areas and should be stored there.
- Any faults or malfunctions in apartments or with appliances should be reported immediately via the online fault report form or by calling to the maintenance company’s service number.
- Tenants are not allowed to attempt to adjust the ventilation or radiators themselves.
- Wasting water or heating energy should be avoided. When leaving the apartment, tenants must make sure that the lights, windows, water taps and electrical appliances are all turned off.
- When airing the apartment, a few minutes is enough.
- The last person to leave a common area has to remember to turn off the lights and close the doors.
- Tenants must make sure to always carry their apartment key with them. Tenants must inform TOAS immediately if they lose a key. TOAS will charge the tenant for a new key and changing of the locks.
- In addition to these regulations, tenants must follow the current laws, enactments, local byelaws, and decisions of the Board of Directors of TOAS.
That’s all! Fortunately, these rules do not inhibit you from enjoying your student life.