Application periods and fixed-term tenancy agreements
This application is only for rooms that have furniture. The International application will be opened on our website once the application period begins. The application period for the autumn semester is from May until June and for the spring semester from middle of October to November.
You will receive an apartment offer via e-mail, so make sure you give us the right e-mail address.
Note that you can submit the international application even though you have not yet received the acceptance to a university in Tampere. We will check your acceptance from the university before we confirm your reservation at the final stage. If we have reserved you a room and you do not get accepted to the university, the reservation will be cancelled.
Due to limited availability of furnished apartments, we cannot guarantee to meet every applicant’s wishes.
With this application type we make only fixed-term agreements: there is a fixed ending date in the tenancy agreement and the agreement cannot be ended before that. Fixed term agreements are valid as follows: 1 August – 31 December or 1 August – 31 May. (Except Pinja: tenancy agreement will start from August 15th). Fixed term agreements for the spring semester are valid from 1 January – 31 May.
The agreement can be extended if needed
The length of the agreement depends on the length of the studies: degree students will have a tenancy agreement until 31 May, exchange students in the autumn semester will have an agreement until 31 December, and exchange students for the full academic year until 31 May.
Application link will be available at the end of this page on May 2nd 2019 at 9:00 (UTC +3:00).
- If you want to live together with your friend, both of you need to submit your own application and write each other’s names on the “wishes” box in the application site.
- Once you have paid the deposit, the reservation is a binding agreement.
- In case your studies in Tampere are cancelled, contact TOAS immediately. The reservation is valid even if you do not pick up the key.
- TOAS accepts only direct bank transfers
- The application period might be shorter than announced, if there are too many applicants.
- In a shared apartment, the students are the same gender. Living in a shared apartment with a different gender friend is not an option.
Submitting the Application
- You can write your possible wishes about the accommodation to the “wishes” box on the application site (for example name of building, maximum rent, name of the friends you want to live with). We will do our best to fulfill the wishes but, due to a limited availability, we cannot guarantee we will provide everything you requested.
- The application has been successfully submitted when the site gives you a summary of your application or you receive a confirmation email (check your junk mail as well!).
- You may submit only one application and you will receive only one offer.
- It is not possible to make changes to your application after applying. Submitting the application again is not allowed.
- We will offer you a room as close to your university as possible. If all the rooms at the closest possible locations are reserved, then TOAS will offer you accommodation in some other location.
About Our Apartments
- The rooms DO NOT include any kitchenware or bedding (no duvets or pillows, except for 145 Pinja)
- The student unions of the universities may have some “survival kits” available.
- Tenants are responsible for cleaning their own rooms+ the common areas in the apartment (shared apartment) or common kitchens (Pinja, Lapinkaari).
- All locations have internet access. We will provide more information via email before you arrive. You can also check our locations for more info.
- Locations with WiFi connection: shared apartments in Lukonkruuti and Rauhaniemi.
Receiving and Accepting an Apartment Offer
After submitting the International application, wait patiently for an apartment offer. TOAS will send you one apartment offer via email based on the current availability, your place of study and your possible wishes within 2-6 weeks after applying. Note: due to a limited availability TOAS cannot guarantee to meet all wishes.
The offer will be valid for seven (7) working days. You will need to pay the required deposit payment €375 (€300 is the refundable deposit payment and €75 is a non-refundable reservation fee) by the given deadline. The possible additional bank fees for the international money transfer should be added to the amount. TOAS will not pay for any extra bank fees caused by the transfer.
Pay the deposit by the given deadline. Otherwise the offer will expire and the room will be offered to the next student in the queue. When the offer has been made, you will be immediately deleted from the queue.
We will not make you a second offer. If you fill in a second application before receiving any offer, the second application will delete the first one and you will be located lower down in the queue and it will take longer to receive an offer. We do not recommend you to reject the offer, as it is the best possible offer you will receive.
We will send you email before your agreement starts: information about the building, what to do when you arrive, how to get the keys etc. Once you arrive to Tampere, visit the TOAS office.
Paying the Deposit
The deposit payment details will be given in the offer email. You are required to give your FULL NAME and the address of the offered room with your payment. If someone else makes the payment on your behalf, it is extremely important that YOUR FULL NAME is added in the message field of the payment. Otherwise we are not able to allocate the payment to your reservation.
Once we have received your deposit payment, the reservation will be changed into an official tenancy agreement.
You will also receive an email confirmation with additional information (keys, etc.).
All the tenancy agreements in furnished rooms will be made for a fixed period of time, in the autumn semester for 1 August – 31 December (exchange students of autumn semester) or 1 August – 31 May (degree students and exchange students of the full academic year), and in the spring semester from 1 January to 31 May. It is not possible to terminate a fixed-term agreement before the given end date.
The deposit payment does NOT cover any rents. In general, once the tenancy agreement is valid, the tenant is responsible for the rents during the tenancy agreement. Pay your rent by the due date given in the tenancy agreement and the rental invoice each month regardless of your physical location. Rent = basic rent informed on the web site + facility usage fee (includes the use of electricity), facility usage fee in furnished rooms in 2019 is 45€/month.
TOAS will send you the rental payment details via email before your agreement starts.
You can pay several month’s rent at once, as a one payment, in advance. The rents must be paid by the deadline, which is always the 6th of the month.
We accept only direct money transfers.
Also, Finnish banks no longer accept cash payments. If you want to use your credit card, please contact your bank for assistance.
You can pick up the keys to your accommodation from the TOAS office from the first working day of August/January onwards, during the office hours. Our office is open from Monday to Friday, 9 am to 3:30 pm. On the first and last working day of the month the office is open from 8:15 am to 5 pm.
If it is not possible for you to pick up the keys during the office hours, contact your university. TOAS can give your key only to a tutor assigned by your university. Only the university can inform TOAS of the name of the tutor.
Our Cancellation Policy
Once we have received your deposit payment, the reservation will be changed into an official tenancy agreement, which cannot be terminated.
If your studies in Tampere are cancelled, contact TOAS immediately.
The reservation is valid even if you do not pick up the key, so informing TOAS is critical. In case of a late cancellation, the deposit payment will be kept to cover the first rent.
myTOAS is a platform for tenants to find their tenancy agreement, rental invoices, payment information and location information. At myTOAS you can make laundry and sauna reservations via TOASbooking.
You can register to myTOAS only after visiting the TOAS office. We will provide registration instruction in the location information email, which you will receive before your agreement starts.
Apply for Furnished Rooms
Application link available here on May 2nd 2019